Professional Writing Experience
Reporter • Lookout Santa Cruz • Santa Cruz, CA
JUNE 2022 - DECEMBER 2022
- Writes articles covering the environment, food, and the local community.
- Manages student newsletter: builds newsletter in CMS, writes content.
Freelance Writer and Editor • Remote
December 2019 – PRESENT
Compiled research database and for client in the managerial consulting field: ingested data from PDFs and organized data into databases.
Revises environmental documents for the Placer County Air Pollution Control District Office to ensure public understanding of data gathering practices, local and federal air quality policy, prescribed burning, and wildfire smoke updates.
Worked 1:1 with (later elected) candidate to local CA water district’s Board of Directors: translated complex fiscal analyses and wonky policy language for broader voting population.
Edited first-person commentary on benefits of local water system infrastructural repairs for civil engineer in Shasta County, California: adapted technical language and fleshed out narrative.
Researcher and Writer • The Propwatch Project • Remote
AUGUST 2021 - JUNE 2022
- Compiled datasets of potential funders, experts, and community partners
- Conducted interviews for video series on misinformation and authored investigative articles
- Performed outreach and supported event logistics with partners.
Newsletter Intern • League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County • Remote
- Developed newsletter: compiled stories, wrote introductions, proofread and copyedited content
Assistant Store Manager • HAALo Botanicals • Nevada City, CA
SEPTEMBER 2015 – SEPTEMBER 2017
Managed inventory and sales data: compiled inventory and imported new inventory data, tracked sales trends via Excel analysis tools
Developed communication materials: drafted press releases for local media outlets, maintained social media accounts, posted to a variety of event hosting platforms, and created newsletter.
Proofed copy: photographed items and instructors, selected images, formatted content.
Communicated with customers, vendors, and local media sources: maintained excellent customer service
Academic Work Experience
Research Assistant • University of California Santa Cruz • Santa Cruz, CA
MARCH - AUGUST 2019
- Compiled and analyzed data on human-subject experiments: ran experiments to collect data and ran ANOVAs measuring the effect of authority on conversations.
- Transcribed and compiled data on 50+ interviews from participants during trials.
- Drafted literature reviews for research on the spread of fake news: reviewed complex scientific research, drafted 5+ page documents, developed bibliographies.
- Gained acknowledgement in now published research on the effect of power dynamics on conversation: asked constructive questions and provided actionable feedback to strengthen experimental design.
Psychology and Writing Instructor • University of California Santa Cruz • Santa Cruz, CA
JANUARY - MARCH 2019
Taught 25 students the foundations of psychology: translated complex information from textbooks and academic writing, developed curriculum, designed lesson plans, created PowerPoints and worksheets for bi-weekly lectures.
Provided 1:1 instruction to discuss research papers and hosted writing workshops to improve writing and research citation skills.
Awarded Best Student Teacher in Psychology Award for excellence in teaching psychology and extra time I dedicated to hosting workshops.
Professional Leadership and Multimedia Experience
Bartender and Lead Server • Riva Fish House • Santa Cruz, CA
2017 – MARCH 2020
Responsible for keeping up-to-date on local seafood and seasonal foods, restaurant food preparation techniques, and rotating menu to advise customers on meal options.
Collaborated and communicated with diverse personalities across customers and restaurant team.
Served drink at bar and waited on 7+ tables a night: prioritized tasks; maintained attention to detail.
Book Sales Associate • The Bookseller • Grass Valley, CA
SEPTEMBER 2016 - DECEMBER 2016
- Read extensively and studied existing books and best sellers, new authors, and literary trends to assist customers with book choices.
Event Coordinator • Miners Foundry Cultural Center • Nevada City, CA
OCTOBER 2015 - MARCH 2016
- Coordinated with artists, bands, wedding planners, city officials, and business and conference coordinators for event details such as dates, arrival, equipment, membership, ticketing, food, and more.
- Managed food, drink, and merchandise coordinating, ordering, and inventory.
- Fostered and maintained relationships with partner organizations, members, and media outlets.
Assistant Festival Director • Nevada City Film Festival • Nevada City, CA
MAY 2015 - SEPTEMBER 2015
Coordinated and trained diverse group of volunteers for all festival tasks.
Developed event communications and marketing: created and distributed fliers, maintained social media accounts, and drafted press releases for local media outlets.
Managed food, drink, and merchandise: researched, ordered, and inventoried concessions; kept and maintained a detailed budget; communicated with vendors.
Authored reviews and summaries of films for playbill and flyers of short films from around the world, including films on Icelandic horse breeding and a day in the life of a Tibetan monk.
GIS Certificate Series • Coursera Online Courses and Credentials via instruction from UC Davis • Remote
- Certificate in The Fundamentals of GIS
- Certificate in Data Formats, Design, and Quality
B.S. in Cognitive Science • University of California Santa Cruz • Santa Cruz, CA
Minor in Literature
Editor for Chinquapin magazine, a student run literary magazine: collected poetry, short stories, photographs, and artistic imagery, discussed content with team, formatted pages.
Wrote film reviews, flyers, and ads for psychology film events with the UCSC chapter of Psi Chi, an international psychological association.
Honors and Awards
Academic Honors Program
I was admitted to UCSC into the Academic Honors Program and maintained my position throughout university.
I maintained above a 3.5 GPA and graduated with a 3.74 GPA.
2019 Dean’s list
I was listed on the 2019 Dean’s list for excellence in maintaining high grades.
Best Student Teacher in Psychology Award
After teaching an introduction to psychology class, I was awarded the best student teacher in psychology award for my dedication to students, excellent student reviews, and high student testing achievement. I held additional workshops to assist their writing and studying. I also tailored each lecture to be as approachable as possible.
I was awarded the Meryll Grant for all four years for excellent academic standing.
Editing • Journal of Media Literacy Education • Remote
SEPTEMBER 2021 - MAY 2022
I worked remotely with the Journal of Media Literacy Education to ensure consistency with journal style guides, update the website, and collaborate with authors to adjust discrepancies.
Beach Clean-ups • Save Our Shores • Santa Cruz, CA
I combed beaches once a month and picked up trash with Save Our Shores, a nonprofit in Santa Cruz, CA. I also organized my own beach clean-ups with friends and volunteers.
Gardening • UCSC Arboretum • Santa Cruz, CA
During the summer, I volunteered twice a week with the UCSC Arboretum in Santa Cruz, CA to help with weeding, planting, watering, and transporting of soil and compost.
Adobe Audition, Audacity
Python, SQL, MS Excel, MS Access
ArcGIS, MapBox GL JS, QGIS
Seaborn, DataWrapper, Infogram
Adobe Audition, Audacity
Graphene, WordPress, Jekyll, GitHub Pages
Language style guides
|The AP Stylebook||The Chicago Manual of Style||Modern Language Association||The American Psychological Association style|
Speaks limited-working Spanish
Basic photoshop skills
Outdoor Activities Hiking, Camping, Backpacking • Volleyball • Cycling
Food Plant-Based Cooking and Baking • Fermenting • Maintaining a Small Garden